Mei Zhang, founder of WildChina, was recently named as a judge on the Finalist Selection Committee for the 2010 Tourism for Tomorrow Awards. The awards, organized by the World Travel & Tourism Council (WTTC), are “aimed at recognizing best practice in sustainable tourism within the Travel & Tourism industry worldwide.”
As the Tourism for Tomorrow awards “provide the [WTTC] with the opportunity of promoting and partnering with the industry leaders in responsible tourism,” Mei Zhang and WildChina are extremely proud to be integral in creating the future of sustainable tourism with other leaders in the field. Costas Christ, chairman of the judges, noted, “at the heart of the awards is an expert judging panel representing countries from all around the world.”
Mei Zhang joins the following individuals on the Finalist Selection Committee:
– Tony Charters, principal, Tony Charters & Associates, Australia
– Jena Gardner, president, JG Blackbook of Travel, and President, The Bodhi Tree Foundation, USA
– Erika Harms, executive director for sustainable development, United Nations Foundation – World Heritage Alliance, USA/Costa Rica
– Marilú Hernández, president, Fundación Haciendas del Mundo Maya, Mexico
– Dr Janne J Liburd, associate professor and director of research, Centre for Tourism, Culture and Innovation, University of Southern Denmark, Denmark
– Mahen Sanghrajka, chairman, Big Five Tours & Expeditions, USA/Kenya
– Kaddu Kiwe Sebunya, chief of party, Uganda Sustainable Tourism Program, Uganda
– Mandip Singh Soin FRGS, founder & managing Director, Ibex Expeditions (P) Ltd, India
– Shannon Stowell, president, Adventure Travel Trade Association, USA
– Jamie Sweeting, vice president, environmental stewardship and global chief environmental officer, Royal Caribbean Cruises, USA
– Albert Teo, managing director, Borneo Eco Tours, Malaysia
Mei Zhang and her fellow judges will be involved in a three-step process that includes the selection of 12 finalists and the completion of on-site inspections for each finalist. Once these tasks are completed, the Finalist Selection Committee will pass their duties on to the Winner Selection Committee, which selects a winner in each of the four Awards categories: Destination Stewardship, Conservation, Community Benefit, and Global Tourism Business.
You can visit Mei’s blog, Mei’s China Travel Tips, for advice on all aspects of travel in China.