As social media continues to evolve, its uses and application to daily life increase exponentially. In WildChina’s corner of the internet, we are continually intrigued by the news we read and the people we engage with, and opportunities we discover in regards to sustainable travel, ecotourism, travel trends in China, non-profit initiatives, and more.
In light of the tragic events that have recently transpired in Haiti, social media’s relevance to offline life has never been more evident. Cries for aid in numerous tweets have alerted “twitizens” of the issues at hand – and these cries have been heard.
According to USA Today, approximately 3% of recent blog posts (which include tweets, as they are considered micro-blogs) were written on Haiti. Thanks to publicity through social media outlets, the Red Cross had already raised $8 million as of Friday, January 15, 2010 through people texting HAITI to 90999 (each text raised $10 for the cause).
WildChina has put together a brief list of ways that you can help contribute to the cause, which we have encountered recently in the realm of social media:
1) Text ‘HAITI’ to 90999 to make a $10 donation (Red Cross)
2) Text ‘UNICEF’ to 20222 to make a $10 donation (UNICEF)
3) Text ‘Yele’ to 501501 to make a $5 donation (Wyclef Jean/Yéle Haiti Foundation)
4) Make an online contribution to Hôpital Albert Schweitzer Haiti (HAS Haiti)
5) Go to CNN’s Larry King/Impact Your World site for an extensive list on organizations involved in providing aid to Haiti (CNN/Non-profits)
Photo credit: hazellcottrell
Want to add to this list? Please email Alex Grieves at email@example.com or send us a tweet @WildChina.