WildChina's Agent Resource Page

Welcome to WildChina's agent resource page

Unlock the extraordinary world of luxury travel in China with our comprehensive tools and expert guidance. Discover exclusive itineraries, insider tips, and curated experiences that will delight your clients and create unforgettable adventures.

About us

Founded in 2000, WildChina is an award-winning, sustainable travel company offering tailor-made journeys that delight the senses and confound expectations.

At WildChina, we are dedicated to helping you select, design, and deliver the perfect travel experiences for your clients. Whatever the request, we have the know-how and on-the-ground relationships to make it happen.

What sets us apart

We work with local guides

Trips led by locals

We carefully handpick all of our guides to ensure the highest quality service. We only work with local guides who really know the destination. Our guides can speak different languages – English, Chinese, Spanish, French, German, Portuguese, Italian and Russian.

Ecolodges and Restoration in Yangshuo and Shaxi

We make experiences exceptional

Journeys beyond the path well trodden. ​

Our journeys are one of a kind. With exclusive access to restricted areas and world-renowned expert guides, we help your clients experience a side of China that few have the privilege to see.

We work with​ leading experts​

Exceptional expertise

We work with internationally acclaimed experts to craft one of a kind, compelling journeys through the areas of their greatest passion & expertise. We travel alongside distinguished authors, pioneers, and celebrated scholars.

China's rice terraces

We make our trips sustainable

Celebrate the diversity

We work closely with the people whose communities we visit and support local businessesWhether in a craftsman’s workshop or a farmer’s kitchen, we work with artisans and minority groups to protect and promote their cultures.

Exceptional travel designers

With expertise from around the world and extensive knowledge of China and its surroundings, our designers know how to create unforgettable memories and exceptional trips.

Across our multi-talented customer service team we have English, Chinese (Mandarin and Cantonese), Spanish, German, French, Russian, and Korean speakers.

The Wild Collective


Learn about China travel

How to Plan a Trip to China

Beijing National palace by xiaoxiao1999


WildChina founder, Mei Zhang, addresses the many questions she’s been asked over the years on ‘how to plan a trip to China giving information on where to go based on your interests, how to get there, and what to expect. This is a great intro for any agents looking to build a comprehensive understanding of the region.

How to Travel to China


China’s re-opened its doors to the world in 2023, but travelers still have many questions and uncertainties about how to enter China. The article below on how to enter China serves as an invaluable resource for agents to provide their clients with information on navigating their entry into China.

Where to Stay in China


Every year, we ask our experienced travel designers for their pick of the best new hotels in China. See below for our curated list of best new hotels from 2022 and 2023.

Getting Around China: Trains


Exploring China on rails is one of the most rewarding and scenic journeys across the country. Our comprehensive guide to the China’s robust train system can be shared with visitors to provide them with a good overview. 

How to Use Alipay for Payments


Navigating China’s modern cashless payment systems can be daunting for a first-time visitor. Here is our step-by-step guide to setting up and using Alipay for payments in China, updated to reflect changes announced in 2024.

Where to Eat in China

Where to Eat in Chengdu


WildChina’s guide to the best places to eat in major destinations around China. Although not exhaustive, these selections represent our staff’s top picks based on their local expertise and firsthand knowledge.

The China Travel Podcast

If you’re looking for further, more in-depth trainings on specific regions and topics in China, we have 30+ episodes of The China Travel Podcast that cover exactly this.

Mei’s Insider Tips

WildChina founder Mei Zhang shares her personal tips on how to make the most of your travels to specific places in China. 

Frequently Asked Questions

General China FAQ

1. General Questions

a. How long have you been in operation?

WildChina has been serving clients since 2000. Our clients include family and individual travelers, educational institutions, nonprofit organizations, companies and major travel partners in the U.S. and Europe. Please see the About WildChina page for more information.

b. Can I see examples of past clients whom you have served?

Please see the lists of our educational clients and corporate clients. For testimonials from family and individual travelers, click here.

c. Are your clients mostly first-time or repeat travelers to China?

Our clients come from various backgrounds and experiences, and we offer a wide range of journeys that appeal to both repeat and first-time travelers to China. All of our itineraries are meticulously crafted and researched to ensure that no matter what your level of China travel experience is, we provide a distinct program that connects you with the local people and culture in more in-depth ways than what is generally possible on your own.

2. General Touring Questions

a. What methods of transportation do you use during trips?

To get between major cities, we usually fly. On a few of our journeys (and when specifically requested), we travel via train when it provides a value-added experience. For most touring within a city and for short excursions, we will use various vehicles. Depending on the journey, there might be travel via car, van, bus, rickshaw, boat, horse, camel, donkey, or sedan chair!

b. What is your camping and campsite setup like for your outdoors excursions?

While the detailed specifics depend on the journey, in general we use three person tents for two people traveling together. Depending on the location and group size, we may also provide a dining tent and a toilet tent.

c. How strenuous are the hiking programs?

We have various levels of hiking and trekking journeys. Some are short 1-2 hour hikes while others are 3-5 day treks. Please refer to our itinerary descriptions for more information. We tailor the journey to fit the needs of the client and can adjust the hikes accordingly.

3. Pricing Questions

a. What is included / excluded in the tour cost?

For specific itineraries, please refer to the trip page or contact us directly. In general, the land cost quotation includes all best-in-local accommodations (on a double-occupancy basis); all admissions and activity expenses as noted in the itinerary; all meals highlighting the local cuisine and drinking water; services of WildChina local guides and other staff; and all local transport. For journeys that include domestic flights, the cost includes economy-class tickets. Our quotes do not include the Chinese Tourist visa; international flights and relevant taxes; the cost of transportation to arrive at and leave from the starting and end points of the journey; meals not included in the itinerary and alcohol; expenses of a personal nature (e.g. mini bar, personal telecommunications, laundry, etc.); or any excursions and activities not included in the itinerary.

b. Can I request to buy my own domestic flight tickets?

As a travel consulting company, WildChina does not issue tickets ourselves. We work with a ticketing partner to get the best price wherever possible and only buy standard economy-class tickets. Should a client prefer to buy their own domestic air tickets (for example, via their frequent flyer mileage program) we are happy to allow this. Please note that in such cases, we strongly recommend you avoid buying restricted discount tickets, as the travel terms and conditions for such tickets are typically non-changeable once they are issued, and this may result in unforeseen complications.

c. Is travel Insurance needed and accounted for in the WildChina cost?

Our quotations do not include travel insurance. All WildChina travelers are also required to provide a copy of their medical insurance card prior to trip departure. More comprehensive travel insurance, including coverage of lost luggage and trip cancellation, is optional though highly encouraged.

d. How do I pay for my trip? Is there a payment schedule?

Once you are ready to book, a USD$500 per person deposit is required to begin reserving your arrangements.

After paying your deposit, you’ll receive confirmation from your WildChina trip designer and an invitation letter for your visa application. 60 days before your departure date, we will begin collecting final payments. Our preferred method of payment for final balance is wire transfer, although payment can also be made with a credit card or check. Please tell your trip designer how you would like to settle the full trip payment, and they will send you the appropriate details.

Once your trip has been paid in full, we will confirm your guides and you will receive a detailed pre-departure guide to help you begin preparing for your journey. About a month before your departure date, you’ll receive your final itinerary, as well as your local guide and hotel contacts.

4. Health & Safety Questions

a. Can you accommodate allergies and food preferences?

WildChina provides vegetarian options at every meal.We request restaurant chefs to not add MSG to dishes; however, since many sauces and other ingredients may already contain MSG, some meals may contain small amounts of MSG.We request guests with severe allergies to consult their physicians prior to traveling and to bring all necessary medicines with them. Guests are highly encouraged to inform WildChina ahead of time of specific allergies, such as to peanuts, fish, etc., so that our guides can ensure these items, including peanut oil, are not used in restaurant meals.

b. What kind of emergency procedures are in place?

In case of emergency, all guests traveling with WildChina for longer than 24 hours are required to provide a copy of their medical insurance card prior to trip departure. Please scan and email the copy to the WildChina staff assisting you. More comprehensive travel insurance, including coverage of lost luggage and trip cancellation, is optional though highly encouraged.

c. What kinds of altitudes do travelers experience?

On trips with altitudes above 2,700 meters (8,858 feet) some travelers may experience Acute Mountain Sickness (AMS), resulting in headache, nausea, fatigue and loss of appetite. After plenty of rest, symptoms usually subside. In rare cases, at much higher altitudes, there can be more severe complications relating to altitude. WildChina itineraries are planned so that travelers have plenty of time to adjust to the altitude in order to ensure they can fully enjoy their trip.

d. How do we deal with the pollution?

An unfortunate side effect of China’s rapid economic growth, there are occasionally days where the AQI level in the big cities will reach unhealthy amounts. To combat this, we provide filtered masks and have air purifiers in all our cars in Beijing. In other cities, air purifiers can be arranged in cars if decided upon in advance.

5. Before Arrival Questions

a. How do I get a visa? What kind of visa should I get?

Nearly all foreign visitors to China will need a tourist visa. We always recommend our travelers apply for a tourist visa at least 60 days prior to departure. Although we cannot obtain a traveler’s visa for you, we can help to answer any questions that come your way.

You can either apply for a tourist visa in person, at your nearest Chinese Embassy or Consulate, or you can send a representative on your behalf (such as a third-party visa agent). Please note that travelers from certain countries, including the U.S., are now required to submit a letter of invitation with their visa application. WildChina will be happy to provide this letter after you have secured your reservation.

If you’d like to apply for a tourist visa in person, you can find consulate locations, visa forms, and specific requirements for tourist visa applications on your country’s Chinese Embassy website.

Preferred Visa Provider for U.S.-based clients:

If you would like an agent to handle the entire visa application process, we recommend China Visa Solutions. A small company, operating out of Chicago, China Visa Solutions has an outstanding reputation. For more information, you can visit China Visa Solution’s website or give them a call on +1 (312) 752-0991. Be sure to ask for Shawn and tell him you are a WildChina traveler – He will make sure you are taken care of.

Preferred Visa Provider for Clients outside of the U.S.:

If you would like an agent to handle the entire visa application process, we recommend VisaCentral. You can download applications and instructions using this link. Simply find your country on the bottom of the page and fill out your trip information.

b. What inoculations should I get before visiting China?

Please contact your local international travel clinic for information regarding inoculations and other relevant health-related information. You may also wish to refer to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), which provides a comprehensive list of recommended immunizations prior to traveling in China: http://www.cdc.gov/travel/.

c. What kinds of toiletries (i.e. shampoo, soap, etc.) should I bring?

We recommend that you bring a supply of your normal toiletries from home. Should you forget something, Chinese pharmacies carry all types of goods, although it may be difficult to find your favorite brand from home. The best way to keep your hands clean in China is to bring along antibacterial hand sanitizer (e.g. Purell), which can be conveniently used while hiking or before eating lunch.WildChina’s suggested packing list will be sent to you, along with other useful pre-departure information, approximately one month before your departure.

d. What kinds of medications or medical supplies should I bring?

We suggest that you bring along the following extras for your own comfort and convenience: antibacterial ointment (e.g. Neosporin), antihistamines, anti-nausea medication, decongestants (Pseudoephedrine), anti-diarrheal medication (Loperamide), insect repellent containing DEET, hydrocortisone cream for itches, Ibuprofen or other pain-relievers, and sunscreen (30+ protection factor). Always pack enough prescription medications for the entirety of the trip. It is recommended that you pack an extra week’s supply in a different spot, just to be on the safe side.

e. How much spending money should I bring, and what is the best way to carry it?

Most necessities are taken care of within the land cost of the journey. However, this does not include personal expenses and money for gifts. Pick-pocketing can be a problem in China, so it is wise to keep money and valuables out of easy reach. A money belt to keep your passport and money close to your body—even under your clothes—is advisable.

f. Are there baggage weight limits while traveling by air within China?

Yes, the luggage limit is 20 kg (~44 lbs) per person for economy-class flights.

6. After Arrival Questions

a. Is travel in China comparable to travel in developed countries?

While China has come a long ways in its development, particularly in major cities, there are still large areas not at the level of international cities. At the same time, getting off the beaten path can be hugely rewarding.

b. What is the state of the restrooms in China?

In metropolitan cities and large hotels, Western toilets are common. But in public restrooms, railroad stations, and some airports, only squat toilets may be available. Our guides will have tissue and hand sanitizer for you to use in these areas, but you are free to pack your own supply as well.

Public restrooms stops throughout China have squat toilets that are sometimes not separated by private stalls. If you feel uncomfortable using a squat toilet, ask your guide where the closest Western toilet can be found and they can refer you to the best bathrooms throughout your trip.

c. How easy is it to change currencies upon arrival?

Changing currency upon arrival is quite easy. Normally, money exchanges can be done in international airports, large banks, and hotels. In cities like Beijing and Shanghai, changing money is convenient practically everywhere. In rural areas, it might be more difficult to find a place to change money. ATMs that accept foreign cards are also becoming increasingly ubiquitous in China’s cities. Look for network symbols such as Interlink, Plus, Star, and Maestro. China is still very much a cash-based economy, so major credit cards are accepted at few locales.

d. Is tipping and gift giving acceptable in China?

Although restaurant tipping is not part of the local culture, we do suggest tips for our guides and drivers. We would like to stress that this is at your own personal discretion. WildChina’s basic tipping guidelines will be sent to you, along with other useful pre-departure information, approximately one month before your departure. In some situations, gift giving is appropriate. For example, for homestays, we suggest guests give a small gift to the host family and bring along small items, such as pencils and erasers, for the children in the family or for other village children.

e. How accessible is the Internet in China?

In larger cities, Internet is accessible in all major hotels; often there are Internet cafés nearby as well, if you have not brought along your computer. In the countryside, Internet is often spotty and slow at best.

If you want to access popular social media sites such as Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram or anything related to Google (including your Gmail), the simplest way is to use international roaming through your domestic mobile provider. Be sure to check with your current mobile provider for international roaming rates and charges before your trip. An alternative to roaming is to use a Virtual Private Network (VPN). You will need to purchase and download your VPN before entering the country.

f. Are there any restrictions on photography?

China is a very photogenic country. Most people are very comfortable being photographed. When in doubt, ask first. In certain areas, such as temples, monasteries, and museums, photography is prohibited. g. Is it safe to drink tap water in China? Tap water is not safe to drink in China. WildChina provides ample bottled water throughout the journey, and we allow restaurants to serve only purified water.

7. Travel Insurance

A. How can I get travel insurance for China?

While there are many options for travel insurance, our go-to is Global Rescue. You can check out their services and offerings HERE.

B. What if kind of evacuation services are available in China?

We’ve partnered with Global Rescue to offer both travel insurance and rescue & evacuation services in case of injury, illness (including COVID-19) or safety threats during your trip. For more information on how to secure Global Rescue insurance for your travels, please follow this link.

Tibet-specific FAQ

1. General Questions

How do I get to Tibet? 

Tibet can only be accessed via mainland China or Nepal. We recommend entering through mainland China, as the Tibet Travel Permit can be applied for in advance if using this route. If you enter through Nepal, you must apply for a new Chinese visa in Kathmandu (if you already have a valid Chinese visa, it will not be accepted, and will be canceled in order to apply for the new one on-site in Kathmandu) before you can apply for Tibet Travel Permit. 

When entering Tibet via mainland China, you have two options: flight or train.  

There usually direct flight options from Beijing, Shanghai, Chongqing, Chengdu, Xi’an Kunming and Shangri-La. Flying is the quickest and most-direct option.  

The train is an overnight journey from Xining to Lhasa and takes ~22 hours. This is a great option if you have more time, are interested in seeing the scenery along the Tibetan plateau, and seeking a slower acclimatization to the elevation. 

Do I need a permit? 

You will need a Tibet Travel Permit in order to enter the region. WildChina will arrange this permit for you and send it to you before you fly to the Tibetan Autonomous Region, but please be aware that travel to and within TAR is subject to change with very little notice. In order to do this, you will need to first have a valid Chinese visa. Since the permit takes up to 14 days to process, please ensure you apply for your Chinese visa ahead of time so that it is ready at least 15 days before you intend to enter the Tibetan Autonomous Region.  

We advise arranging a phone call with your travel designer before applying for your Chinese visa so we can explain in more detail what to expect and how best to apply. 

Once you’ve received your Chinese tourist visa (L visa), we will require a scanned copy of the photo page of your passport and your Chinese visa page, in order to apply for your Tibet Travel Permit. 

If traveling outside of Lhasa (still in Tibet) you will also require an Alien’s Travel Permit and Tibet Tourism Bureau Permit (TTB Permit). This will be arranged by WildChina and you will receive the permit once in Lhasa. The cost of these is already included in the land cost.  

The Tibet Public Security Bureau requires that a detailed itinerary is submitted when applying for these documents and this itinerary must be followed precisely. As such, it is important to be aware that unplanned deviations from our itinerary are not usually possible. 

If I’m already in China, how do I get a Tibet Travel Permit? 

If you are working in China and hold a different type of visa than L (tourist), you will 

need to provide both a scanned copy of the photo page of your passport and your Chinese visa page, as well as the below additional paperwork: 

  • Business (F) visa – a letter of recommendation from your company (with the official company seal). 
  • Work (Z) visa – a letter of recommendation from your company (with the official company seal) and a scanned copy of your work permit. 
  • Student (X) visa – a letter of recommendation from your school or university, with the school stamp (seal) and a scanned copy of the student ID card. 
  • Other Types – Diplomats, journalists, and government officials have separate requirements.

Please email us directly to inquire about getting a TTP for these visa types. 

2.How is the weather in the Tibet?

Temperatures in the Tibetan Autonomous Region can drop dramatically in the evening. Remember to bring plenty of layers of warm clothing or, if you prefer to travel light, we also recommend purchasing warm clothing in Lhasa then donating the items to a local school/orphanage at the end of your trip! 

3.Can I access internet in the Tibetan

Wifi is available in all hotels we use in the region, however it is relatively slow in some areas. 4G is not available, and if you use a VPN service, it may be slower than normal. 

4. Is Tibet ever closed to foreign visitors?

Tibet is closed to foreign visitors during certain months of each year. Exact dates differ each year with little to no warning depending on current circumstances, but the Tibetan Autonomous Region continuously does not issue travel permits for the month of March. 

5. Is there a risk of high altitude sickness?

Lhasa sits at an elevation of 3,656 meters (11,990 feet), and at this height, high-altitude sickness is a risk. High altitudes can make activities, and possibly sleep, more difficult and Acute Mountain Sickness (AMS) can result in headache, nausea, fatigue and loss of appetite.  

We recommend visiting your physician to discuss your risk of Acute Mountain Sickness (AMS) 4-8 weeks before departure if you’re traveling in high altitude locations, mainly Xinjiang, Tibet and Yunnan. It is likely he/she will suggest taking Diamox (like with any medication, there are possible side effects, so be sure to ask your doctor about specific compatibility), starting 1 day before you reach the high altitude region and continuing while you ascend. 

Once there, it’s important to drink plenty of water. WildChina itineraries are planned as such that you have plenty of time to adjust to the altitude and so you can fully enjoy your trip. In the unlikely event of serious altitude sickness, emergency evacuation measures will be taken.  

 Most luxury hotels in Lhasa provide a free oxygen lounge and a clinic to help with adjusting, and all WildChina guides and vehicles have emergency-use oxygen on-hand at all times. 

If you suffer from high altitude sickness, your local guide and our staff will quickly help you to lower altitude and to the nearest hospital if needed. If you need to leave Tibet early due to altitude sickness, please contact your trip designer so they can assist with booking the earliest-possible departure flight.

6. Do I need vaccinations for traveling to Tibet?

We recommend visiting your personal physician or a travel clinic 4-8 weeks before departure for information regarding vaccinations.  For your convenience when speaking to a doctor, we have included the most useful links regarding recommended immunizations prior to traveling in China.  

Many immunizations require at least 10-14 days before becoming effective and should be obtained before you travel to China –especially if you plan to visit more remote, rural areas such as Tibet and Yunnan, or spend a lot of time outdoors.  

Helpful resources:

7. How are bathrooms in the Tibetan Autonomous Region?

Hotel bathrooms are generally high standard with Western toilets. However, bathrooms in local restaurants or places of interest will be quite basic and at times, it may be more pleasant to avoid these toilets and use nature instead. As such, we recommend packing a small toilet kit to bring with you, including tissues, hand sanitizer, and wet wipes. Your guide will also have tissues on-hand for you if needed. 

Taiwan-specific FAQ

1. Do I need a visa to visit Taiwan?

Most nationals can spend up to 90 days visa-free for tourist purposes in Taiwan! Visa requirements for all countries can be found here.

2. Are there any COVID-19 entry requirements for Taiwan?

Nope! Taiwan is fully open for quarantine-free travel for international arrivals. There is no health declaration is required (pre-flight testing/vaccine check) and no mandatory quarantine period. More info can be found here.

3. Do I need travel insurance?

Travel insurance is optional when traveling with WildTaiwan, but we highly recommend purchasing it. We recommend insurance that covers emergency medical expenses, trip cancellation or delays, and lost, damaged, or stolen luggage. While we hope you’ll never have to use it, sometimes things happen that are beyond our control. Having travel insurance can give you (and those at home) peace of mind, as it helps ensure you’re not stuck without aid or with a large hospital bill.

We’ve partnered with Global Rescue to offer both travel insurance and rescue & evacuation services in case of injury, illness (including COVID-19), or safety threats during your trip. For more information on how to secure Global Rescue insurance for your travels follow this link.

4. Are there any vaccines required for travel to Taiwan?

We recommend visiting a local international travel clinic or your personal physician 4-8 weeks before departure for information regarding vaccinations. For your convenience when speaking to a doctor, we have included the most useful links for immunization advice in Taiwan. Many immunizations require at least 10-14 days to become effective and should be obtained before you travel to Taiwan– especially if you plan to visit more remote, rural areas or spend a lot of time outdoors.

5. What currency do they use in Taiwan?

The current currency of Taiwan is the New Taiwan Dollar, abbreviated to TWD, NTD or NT$. The official symbol of the NTD is 圓, but it is more commonly seen in its colloquial form as 元. Click here for a quick currency converter. The basic unit of the NTD is called yuan (圓) and is subdivided into ten jiao (角), and then into 100 fen (分) or cents, although jiao and fen are rarely used or needed.

6. What language do they speak in Taiwan?

The most commonly spoken and official language of Taiwan is Mandarin. Mandarin is not the only language spoken in Taiwan though, with Taiwanese, Hakka, and the Formosan languages (Taiwanese aboriginal languages) spoken throughout the island. Although English is not an official language of Taiwan it is widely studied and spoken. Once you’ve confirmed a trip with us, we’ll send over a list of Mandarin phrases to help you get around while you’re here, plus your local guide will always be very happy to help!

7. When is a good time to visit Taiwan?

You can visit Taiwan year-round. It’s worth noting though that summers can be very hot, and typhoon season stretches from summer through fall.

Get in touch

WildChina's Business Development Team

Our travel BD & KAM team operates behind the scenes, ensuring that you shine in the eyes of your clients. With our extensive experience of 20 years in the market, we work closely with agents from various countries, understanding the preferences and needs of travelers from different geographies. Whether your client seeks a thrilling family adventure in China's mountainous west or a tranquil escape along the picturesque banks of Hangzhou's West Lake, we collaborate to create a truly unforgettable journey of a lifetime.
Jenny Zhao Profile Photo

Jenny Zhao


North America, Europe
and Asia Pacific

Andrés Vargas


Latin America
and Spain

Kendra Tombolato


United Kingdom, Africa
and Middle East

Stay in the loop

Stay up to date with the world of China travel. We keep our ear to the ground so you can get the latest travel updates, from hotel openings to new aviation routes and attractions.