For this episode we’re exploring Yangshuo, Guangxi and Shaxi, Yunnan with Chris Barclay. Who is Chris Barclay? Well, if you’ve been to Yangshuo anytime in the last 20 years, you’ve probably heard of the Yangshuo Mountain Retreat, a long-standing ecolodge on the banks of the Yulong River.
This Yangshuo staple was Chris’ first foray into the hospitality industry, in 2001. Since then Chris has opened two more boutique hotels in China: the Yangshuo Village Inn and the Old Theatre Inn. In this episode we explore Chris’ journey as an entrepreneur, hotelier, designer and preservationist in China.
Listen to Episode 30:
Ecolodges and Restoration in Yangshuo and Shaxi
You can also listen to The China Travel Podcast on:
- 00:29 – Introduction to Chris Barclay
- 02:09 – Chris’ story in renovating a temple in Shaxi
- 07:29 – Where is Shaxi and why is it significant
- 08:53 – Other previous restoration work in Shaxi
- 10:04 – Difficulties faced when doing restoration work in China
- 12:29 – How did the local villagers embrace the restoration of this temple
- 15:20 – Azhali Buddhism
- 17:49 – How did Chris end up in China
- 21:15 – What was the original idea for the Yangshuo Mountain Retreat
- 25:03 – The story of the Yangshuo Village Inn
- 27:17 – Travel concept: walk and talk
Places, resources and tips mentioned in the podcast:
Chris’ boutique hotels in Guangxi:
Chris’ boutique hotel in Yunnan:
Chris’ restoration work including the Pear Orchard Temple in Shaxi:
Yangshuo: Trekking Through Karst Country
Dramatic karst peaks, the sun-dappled river Li, jade-green rice paddies – the scenes of Yangshuo are like the brushstrokes of an unseen artist. Experience rural life in the karst backwoods, hike between villages, and learn to cook like a local.