For this episode we’re delving into the mission of EGRC (Educating Girls of Rural China), an NGO supporting the educational pursuits of girls in China’s underprivileged regions.
Our guest is the founder of EGRC, Ching Tien, who shares with us her personal story of growing up in China during the Cultural Revolution. Her path strays from an educated family background and setting, to relocation in Gansu, the poorest province in China at the time, where she worked in a factory.
Several decades later, Ching found herself at a children’s concert in Vancouver, thinking of the girls she bumped shoulders with back in Gansu, and the many worldly opportunities they were missing out on. The first seedlings of EGRC were thence planted, and today, 18 years later, over 2,000 girls in China have benefited from the NGO born of that dream.
Listen to Episode 31:
Educating Girls of Rural China with Ching Tien
You can also listen to The China Travel Podcast on:
- 00:29 – Introduction to Ching Tien
- 03:01 – The inspiration for EGRC
- 05:51 – Ching’s upbringing in China
- 10:55 – Ching’s father’s story
- 11:40 – The Flying Tigers and The Hump
- 14:38 – Starting EGRC
- 16:43 – The first group of EGRC students
- 20:07 – The mission and function of EGRC
- 23:44 – The girls EGRC has helped
- 30:33 – Government support (grants and loans) for higher education in China
- 35:01 – Key components to setting up the EGRC girls for success in life
Places, resources and tips mentioned in the podcast:
Learn more about EGRC’s mission and follow them on social media:
- Website: https://egrchina.net/
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/egrchina/
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/educating-girls-of-rural-china/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/EGRChina
Donate to EGRC:
Donations can be made via EGRC’s website https://egrchina.net/ or Canada Helps.
For those wishing to donate RMB or have inquiries to direct to EGRC, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
WildChina and EGRC
WildChina is proud to have had EGRC as the recipient of our annual Chi Fan For Charity event, three years and counting. Learn more about Chi Fan For Charity and the charities we’ve fundraised below.